Our blog - Lawers Raid, Jun'17

A blog of our mountain adventures in Scotland, hiking, biking, rock-scrambling and more !

Lawers Raid

3 June 2017
A guided day bagging the 7 Munros above Loch Tay. Emma and Richard were the guides for the day, here's Emma's tale...

It was a promising start to the day with warm sunshine and light winds as we crossed the watershed on the way to Meall Choire a'Leith. The steep climb to the summit is always a tough one, but we were rewarded with a tremendous panorama including towards Ben Nevis, Ben Alder and the route for the day ahead. It was a first Munro for 2 of the group too.

By the time we reached the top of Meall Corranaich, our second summit, we were caught in a heavy hail storm which meant that we didn't linger for long at the cairn. Some food at the saddle below Beinn Ghlas saw a couple of members of the group opt for the attractive path which curves under the steep north face of the mountain rather than the unrelenting ascent to the summit. Everyone else opted for the climb and we met again at the foot of the Ben Lawers ascent. The mountain was very busy now with lots of parties having climbed from the main car park, though a second heavy shower on the summit soon saw the other groups disperse and we had our 4th Munro to ourselves.

With 3 more Munros still to climb and the day rapidly disappearing we decided to split into 2 groups with half enjoying a more leisurely return to the Lawers car park and the other half continuing the traverse. I led the traverse group and we headed for An Stuc, and the heavy showers continued turning the path to a river. As we descended from the top of Creag an Fhithich there was a beautiful rainbow over Lochan nan Cat below us. The top of An Stuc was wet and windy and we sorted out our kit for the steep descent, everybody scrambled down the wet, muddy rocks with relative ease.

Happy that An Stuc was behind us, we then enjoyed a sunny ascent of Meall Garbh. The view from here, looking back along the ridge is one of the best of the day and it was only the prospect of our 7th and final Munro, Meall Greigh, which propelled us on. There were some weary legs which made the final climb where the view along the length of Loch Tay was savoured. All that remained was the steep descent back to the Lawers Burn and down through the young forest to the Lawers Hotel ending our incredibly memorable 10 hour day on the mountain.

We would like to say a big thank you to Ian and Margaret for assisting with the transport logistics at beginning of the walk !

More photos by Emma are here on Flickr.

Share this page

« next    |    previous »

© 2018 Steven Fallon